Thursday, June 26, 2008

meandering thoughts

Update: I have completed the Twilight series and must admit that all of you who told me how good they were, are not, after all, crazy. I didn't want it to end but couldn't stop reading! Anyway, I'm on the bandwagon waiting for the next one to come out. I need more good novels in my life- I haven't enjoyed a story like that in a long time and considering the ones that got my attention were teenage vampire stories... well, yes, I need good reading suggestions. I am a few pages into "the host," which I am approaching skeptically, but I'll give it a chance... who knew I'd be into wearwolves?! (oh, and I am. jacob, my jacob...)

Other meandering thoughts... it's cloudy outside right now and I love that. I think the overcast sky is to receive credit for extra-long naps in my house. And it feels cozy. We need a good storm. Everytime I wish for a great rainstorm I think of emily in portland who can't escape the rain and wish that we could combine our climates to make the perfect one, but I suppose mine is perfect for me right now.

Seneca has started taking her first little shakey steps and it is pretty fun. It's fun to encourage her and have her little face beam with pride. It's also fun to have Cooper get so excited for her. While I'm rambling about Senny, her hair, which is gorgeous, don't get me wrong... is totally bugging me. It's in her face all the time and that is a big problem for me. It's uneven in back and shaggy looking and while she's still the prettiest thing I've ever seen, I really really really want to trim it. Well, not me, but it needs some attention. The trouble is that Navajo tradition suggests (strongly, apparantly) that if a baby's hair is cut before they speak their first words then the ability to speak at all is hindered. I know it's just a legend, but these traditions are kind of fun and denten will not have it any other way. So I need a temporary solution. I'm not a fancy, up-in-bows mother of girly girls, so please don't suggest something frilly. Some cute clips to keep it out of her face and some patience as she figures out what those much-anticipated real first words are going to be!

My boys are great, Cooper is loving the pool and looks forward to dad coming home every day for swim time. Beckham gets the pants scared off him every time I dunk him, but recovers so quickly we do it again. He is such a different baby than he was a few months ago. He's very content and smiley and very taken with his siblings. And he's got great kissable cheeks. And he's ticklish.

Alright, I'm rambling. It's been really mellow around here the past few weeks, which is nice I suppose. I feel a little sluggish, but down time has it's perks. This weekend will snap me out of it with tickets to the circus and an airplane trip with one mom and three children... it's gonna be great! for now, over and out.

10 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

I'm so glad Beckham's feeling happier and enjoying your family. As for hair for one-year-olds, I like bucket hats with chin straps. Also, those cheap plastic clips hold one-year-old hair and don't tear out hair when they get pulled out. I'm sure her first words are right around the corner and are going to be magnificent.

McKelle said...

I know how it is with crazy hair. Gwen has it, and it's still bugging me.

Send me your address, and I'll send you a couple of the clips I've made. Do you have color preferences? They stay in really well!

tenacious d said...

I was skeptical about The Host, too. Then I found myself up until 2 am on a Monday night, because I could not put it down.

I am also a Jacob fan. Can't wait to see how the fourth book unfolds.

Croslands said...

Yep, I was also sucked in to the Twilight series after vowing to avoid them.

Leslie said...

I like Jacob. . . but Bella just has to end up with Edward. Because, well, she just HAS to! I want Jacob to "match" (is that what it's called? I can't remember) with another girl though. He needs to be happy. This is so silly, these are fictional characters, but I feel so strongly about them.

Angelique said...

I loved hearing the update on your family and especially the kidos.

eryka said...

Stella had crazy hair too! I used the tiny elastics and did the mini pig tails or spout on top. It wasn't always the cutest but it kept her hair out of her eyes. The host gets really good after the third chapter. Enjoy. I also have a few more young adult series I like. Fablehaven and Uglies,Pretties and Specials.

Scrap Happy said...

I'd say "Uh Oh" and "Dada" should qualify as words, since Josh isn't anywhere close to identifying anything.

But if Denten's stubborn about it, then there's always the "Carter ponytail." I'm available for training sessions.

Or, you could be like Bryn and get a whole wall full of custom hair bows... that's SO you, isn't it?

Ha!

2x2momma said...

I got majorly hooked on the Twilight series as well- I think the fascination for me is that Edward and Bella are meant for each other, but they have a really unhealthy relationship going on. They're always fighting, and I mean, where is their future? She basically has to lie all the time and kill herself for it to work out? No wonder her parents are innocently wary... I am so excited to see how it all gets wrapped up! One more month til the next book...

annalisa said...

Breaking Dawn comes out next month... Me I'm an Edward fan, but I have had plenty of discussions with friends whoa re both Edward and Jacob fans. Either you're in one boat or the other. I personally am excited for the movie. I didn't think it looked any good, but the preview looks like it actually may be. We'll see. How did you like The Host? It wasn't my favorite. It didn't have the magic of Twilight. But as long as people are reading, I'm happy.