Tuesday, August 5, 2008

All you gotta do is ask...

I just saved a bundle on my car insurance! and I didn't call geico.

I've been going over the household budget again, 'cause I just can't do it enough, apparently. I was looking down the list at what could conceivably be trimmed down and while I usually skip over those categories that are "fixed," I kept coming back to Allstate. It's an automatic withdrawal, so I never think about paying that bill, but I was wondering if we were paying more than necessary. I'm very grateful to have car insurance. I've very grateful to have cars to insure, for that matter. I'm grateful that Allstate has been great to work with.

Since we moved to Arizona, we haven't had an agency assigned to us, we've been "floaters," if you will. I figured that if I was going to ask for a break, I wanted to talk to an actual local person rather than randomness on the other end of 1-800-allstate. So, first order of business was getting an agent assigned to us- no problem, I picked the closest office with a lady whose name sounded nice. I then called and asked if there was anything they could do to lower our rate. They reviewed our policy and called back with options... all of them coming in at least $30 a month less than our current policy and all with more "special features." We evaluated the options, had the policy rewritten and my budget now has a bit more wiggle room. Love that.

3 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

You are a problem solver! Way to go with your gut.

Croslands said...

I love it too. I did the same thing last year and afterward wondered why it took me so long to find out something so simple. Congrats on your new found money.

Kari said...

NICE JOB! I do the same thing. Even an extra $30 a month is a major difference in our household! (That means I can buy the expensive diapers, aka Pampers!)