Sunday, October 12, 2008

Lessons learned this week

Thought #1:  Assignment from my weekly discussion group:  write a little on one of the laws we have discussed.

The law that I have been thinking about is the Law of Perpetual Transmutation:  circumstances and things are perpetually coming or going according to your thoughts.  This law reminds me how powerful my thoughts are.  This law teaches that as long as we are consistently focused on something, we are attracting it to us.  If we stop and let our thoughts wander to other things, namely doubts or fears, we lose the momentum of our dreams and have them back-up or disappear. 

We need to always be focused on the things we want to have them always evolving into a physical state.   To me, this doesn't mean that this dream is the only thing occupying our minds, that seems unrealistic to me in our busy states, but it means that we return often to the thought and that we keep the energy we are feeding it positive.  If we have something on our minds often, but the thoughts are negative, we are not helping bring our desires into physical form.

Sometimes it seems difficult to train our thoughts to be focused on a certain thing all the time, or control the thoughts directed toward a specific dream to always be uplifting rather than discouraging.  However, if there is something important in our lives, we can't help but think of it often.  Sometimes there are events in our lives that are so important to us that we can't seem to really focus on anything else. 

I have a dream.  I have a big dream that I know is possible.  On the days when my thoughts are positive and I am feeling confident, I make huge progress toward my goal.  On days when fears, doubts and discouragement are overwhelming, I make no progress.  On those days, Satan wins.  He is winning far less often these days.  I am noticing more and more when he tries to creep in and he is not invited.  My eyes are on the prize and I am continuing to learn to train my thoughts to get me there.

Thought #2:  From 3 Nephi chapter 11

I read this chapter twice this week and the same two ideas popped out at me both times.  They are simple lessons, which I always appreciate when reading the scriptures. 

3 And it came to pass that while they were thus conversing one with another, they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn.

Heavenly Father does not use a loud harsh voice to get our attention.  He may repeat himself several times, but he will do so in a small, calm voice.  He doesn't get impatient and yell in order to get through our thick skulls.  This is a lesson I can apply directly to my home.  It seems my human nature manifests itself occasionally by getting a little louder or more stern the more I feel I need to repeat myself.  This happens when perhaps one child is crying, another is pulling on my pants whining and the third is choosing very deliberately not to hear me.  I can only dream of my soft voice piercing the souls of my children, but using a calm voice keeps the energy of our home positive and the environment pleasant. 

29 For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of acontention is not of me, but is of the bdevil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.

  30 Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things ashould be done away.

I am not a fan of contention and yet there is the occasion that I can see myself adding to the chaos around here.  I have been more aware of Satan lately and of the crafty ways he creeps into our hearts and homes.  He is the master of discouragement and delights in planting doubts and grumpiness.  I don't want him here.  I don't want his followers here.  They are not welcome in my home.  Peace and harmony, come on in.

Thought #3:  While at the temple this week, a certain phrase jumped out at me.  The same phrase hit me a while ago in the temple.  Heavenly Father is patient and willing to pound things gently into my head when it takes more than once... The thought was that we are to live up to the measure of our creation.  I was created to be amazing.  So were you, for the record.  Heavenly Father didn't make losers, he just didn't.  He created his daughters to be strong, true amazing women.  The visiting teaching message this month mentions that the world has enough women who are tough, coarse and seek fame and fortune.  We were created to be soft and kind and full of faith.  Soft is not intended as an insult, rather as describing the sensitive side of women that God created in us.  He created me to accomplish great things, to return back to him a better woman than I left as, to strive to reach my full potential in all areas of my life.  Satan doesn't want me to get there, he doesn't want to see my family succeed, but too bad for him, we're not on his team.  We're destined for greatness and we're well on our way.  I love that Heavenly Father desires and assists us in living up to the measure of our creation.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you, I enjoyed that.

Lindsay Renee' said...

enjoyed your thoughts from 3 Nephi 3:11. i like the comparison you see in it...God speaks to us, His children, gently and calmly; and it's a tender reminder to me that we need to do the same to our children; soft-spoken. i've never been a yeller/shouter, but there was a time or two i raised my voice unnecessarily this week to my kids; i appreciate your gosepl thoughts!
And "keep your eye on the prize," great motto!

Patria said...

for someone who is a yeller and a shouter (that would be my tendency), it was very nice to read your thoughts- parenting challenges me to the core, that's for sure. thanks for the post!
-Patria

tenacious d said...

That was a very thought-provoking post, and relevant to some things happening in my life right now.

Thanks!