Sunday, June 13, 2010

grateful.

It has been a few days of ups and downs for me.  After the first full week of fitness challenge, I found a few pieces of this that don’t fit my lifestyle very well.  I have decided that it would be pretty tough to design a challenge for such a variety people with different fitness goals and have everyone satisfied with the guidelines.  There are pieces of it that are fun and motivating for me, things that are challenging and good for me and pieces that have caused a good deal of stress around here!  After receiving honest and kind advice from a few good friends, I find myself more comfortable with carrying on and allowing the focus to be on my life and the improvements I set out to make rather than the comparison to others, which often seems to be my downfall.  I have appreciated the support this week that comes from embarking on these changes with great friends who truly have my best interest at heart.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the Goose Girl this week.  It has been a while since I read something that I can’t wait to get back to.  It has gotten good and I just want to keep reading!  I had an entire hour to myself yesterday (miracle!) and I spent it sitting in a massage chair reading my book.  It did not hurt that someone was pampering my feet and painting my toenails at the same time!  It’s amazing what an hour-long break from regular life will do for my spirits and perspective.

Shortly after we moved into this ward, our bishop’s 20-year-old daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  After quick surgery, it was determined that the tumor was cancerous.  Her story is amazing, and found here.  It has been humbling and inspiring to have a peek at this experience as we don’t know this family well, but have been able to witness what it means for a true ward family to be knit together as they have surrounded this family like I have never seen before.  She was engaged to be married this weekend and when news of her health condition came, plans were put on hold.  It was decided at the last minute this week that they would continue through with their wedding and they were sealed in the temple yesterday.  As I attended their reception last night, I could not fight the emotion I felt, both for this sweet couple and the journey they are in the middle of and the army that stand with them.  It made me so grateful to be a part of this ward.

My gratitude continued today as Denten and I had the opportunity to speak in church.  I spoke on faith and miracles and the action that is required to make them happen.  I felt it went smoothly and was grateful for that feeling as this is a different ward audience that I have been a part of before.  Between mine and Denten’s talks, Seneca came up to the pulpit, stood on a chair and sang, “I Love to See the Temple.”  She didn’t want the piano, she wanted to do it herself, and she was great.  She remembered all her words and looked around at the congregation as she sang.  I think we were able to share with our new ward what a special little girl we have.

I’ve got a good list of things to accomplish this next week and am grateful for Sundays to rest and renew and gear up for the week that will be.  Here’s to making it a great one!

2 comments:

DaNae said...

Oh would have loved to have heard all of you.

Amy @ Ink'd said...

I'm so glad your talk went well! It is always hard to speak in a new ward. It's tough to be the rookie when there are former mission pres. and everyone seems so capable sitting in the audience. But I am so happy you get to experience that ward family and see them in action. I remember my ward being that way, especially when my dad was bishop...they just always had their arms around us. It is not often that wards work so well together for the good of each other.