Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Invictus

invictus

I spent two nights getting through this movie.  Two nights not because it was boring, but because it was so full that I couldn’t watch it half asleep.  My dad’s admiration of Nelson Mandela has rubbed off on me and I have gained my own full appreciation of this man and the things he was able to accomplish in one short lifetime.  He was a leader who was slow and deliberate, something leaders today around the world could learn a lot from.  No power trips, no decisions simply because they please the majority.  Having the concept of the national rugby team thrown in was also brilliant. 

There was a scene when Matt Damon’s character, Francois Pienaar, who is the captain of the rugby team, is having a retrospective moment.  When asked if he was nervous about his upcoming match, he replied, “no, I was thinking about how you spend 30 years in a tiny cell and come out ready to forgive the people who put you in.”  We see the cell where Mandela spent a good portion of his life and it is powerful that after having that kind of experience, he came out level-headed and ready to make changes in his country.  Without bitterness, without a hard heart. 

There is much to be learned from the line of the poem, Invictus:

I am master of my fate.

I am captain of my soul. 

Nelson Mandela was an inspired leader.  I won’t say the movie is incredibly dynamic or hugely entertaining by hollywood standards, but it was definitely cause for reflection.  When one man who has had incredible hardships can make such a difference, why aren’t more of us making one when our lives are such a dream?

2 comments:

Kari said...

Loved this post. I also enjoyed this movie and I also happen to admire Nelson Mandela. What an incredible man! Thanks for sharing.

jayme said...

I really loved this movie. I have watched it twice so far. I didn't really know much about Mandela, but have gained a respect for and desire to know more about him him after seeing this. Josi and Hyrum both wanted to go out and play "football" with the rugby ball we got in Ireland after watching it this weekend.
P.S. we miss your family and Hyrum keeps telling random people that he is going to marry Seneca.