Friday, July 30, 2010

change of heart

That's the name of a book, not an actual condition I'm experiencing. Written by Jodi Picoult. Finished last night by me. Picoult's novels are interesting, usually revolving around some form of a controversial theme and each chapter is written from the perspective of one of the leading characters.

I learned about the belief that there were more gospels written than are contained in the King James version of the Bible. The thoughts contained in the Gospel of Thomas shaped some of the themes in this book. This story also revolved around a capital punishment case. It is interesting to see both the business and emotional sides to preparing to act out the death penalty. There were varying opinions on capital punishment among the different characters in the story and I don't believe the author was attempting to have her readers swayed one way or another, but I'm not a supporter.

I love that when I open a book, it has the potential to take me to a new place, teach me new things... things that may help me in my daily role as a mother, or things that have little to do with my daily tasks and offer reprieve from them. I'm always a little disappointed when it's finally over, but there are so many waiting for me! on to the next one...

No comments: