Monday, July 26, 2010

The Help.


You were right, you were all right. All of you who told me that this book was amazing were dead on. I have been enthralled with books this summer, but this one was a step above, so real and honest. Once I got into it I couldn't wait to see how it was all going to unfold and it did not disappoint. I was up late Friday night reading in bed and Saturday when I woke up early I grabbed my book and stayed right there in bed. Denten eventually got up and went for a run. I did actually get out of bed long enough to get my children cheerios and make a smoothie, but then I headed back to my bedroom. I was still there at 9:30 when Denten got home... I had to finish it! I finally did and then was sorry it was over.


I've had several thoughts about the implications of this book. I felt when I was reading it that it took place in a very different world, however it felt so real and current to me. I realize how unaffected I am by matters of prejudice. I realized that as open and accepting as my community seems, I don't know if I've ever really been able to put that to the test and as I read I longed for the opportunity to change things- that desire we have to make things better for those who we feel aren't getting a fair shake.


I think it's a powerful book that contains great and hilarious characters as well as the epitome of ruthlessness. I would absolutely be interested in whatever Stockett produces next.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I've heard this one was good. I have one more book on my list, and then this will be my next read. Thanks for posting about it.

2x2momma said...

I'll have to pick this one up again- thanks for the rec!

tenacious d said...

Lots of people are recommending this. We'll have to read it for our next book club.