Friday, June 6, 2008

My life: swimming lessons

The first week of swimming lessons are over. We are doing two weeks at a public pool before we move to more intimate lessons at a private pool.

I'm so grateful that Cooper did not exhibit the fear factor this year. Perhaps it was exposure to the pool before lessons or maybe he's just a little older, but it was so fun to have him excited to meet his teacher, new friends and most importantly wear his goggles. They seem to be a superpower of sorts. It's amazing the things he's suddenly able to do once he has his "oggles" on. This initial class is moving slowly for him, I know he's capable of more, but it's a nice introduction to swimming and it's fun to see him succeed at everything he's trying.

While he has been in his swim class I have been in a parent/child class with Seneca. Well, the term class is used very loosely. Mostly it's a bunch of moms holding babies wandering around in the water taking baby talk, trying to blow bubbles and occasionally dunking their children. At only $12 for two weeks, I can't call it a complete waste, but I don't feel the need to repeat the experience. The last few days Senny and I meandered to the shallow end where she can sit and splash and crawl around at her leisure. She's a big fan of that as am I.

As for the pool experience as a whole, I must say that public pools in Phoenix have a bit of their own culture. When I leave the bubble of my white friends in the baby class and wander to the "public" side of the pool, I am very white. Literally. Seneca fits in a little better but my white bod is definately out of place. The little black bodies running around everywhere are darling, especially the ones that stop to admire and talk to senny. "oh, she's beautiful!" "she's just cute as a little bug, isn't she?!" "oh, a baby! oh, she's so happy, she has gorgeous eyes" and on and on. I'm guessing her admirerers are around 12 years old and would smother Seneca with affection if given the chance. She's a hit wherever we go, but this was a new level of love!

All in all, it was a fun week at the pool and major kudos to Rachel for loving Beckham each day while we played at swimming lessons!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Totally impressed! I just chase Henry all over the place while Mark and Emma have their lessons. Me getting in the pool just seems like way to much work.

The Malone's said...

I'm glad that you didn't mention that mean mom who kept dunking her child under the water everytime he cried. At least he stopped crying by the end of the week.

wackywilsons said...

I am interested to hear more about your solitaire/energy program that you were learning about. It seem right down your ally and could be beneficial to everyone!

Seneca truly is a babe...dark brown eyes and all. You definitely keep up with her too!

Good for you for venturing off into the public AZ pools with three little ones....what else can you do when it is 110 outside!

Amy said...

Okay..just caught up on your last two posts. We're in the midst of swim classes as well & I had to laugh at your post because goggles made all the difference for Aidan as well. We brought them to Day 2 of swimming and he was a little fish. All fear vanished (I so wish he would keep at some!). Davyn is a different story. He readily goes to the instructor for his turns, but there's no enjoyment in the process and he's instantly out of the water when his turn ends.

I'm super interested in hearing more about what kind of energy therapy you've been learning. My aunt helped me so much through a difficult period years ago with that type of work. Jim thinks it's wacko, but I'm a definite believer, and still go see a lady in Mesa who does energy work when I get in a bad spiral.

This coming week is super busy for us, but let me know what your next week is like for us coming out. I would love to!