Sunday, February 10, 2013

Granola



When I was younger and living at home, my mom would make granola and it was delish.  I went through it quickly every time she made it.  I have never been a fan of store-bought cold cereal, there are very few I like so this was a treat, to have something so good available for a quick breakfast or snack.  

I don't remember the specifics of that recipe, but I think it was similar to many others in that it had great stuff in it, but it was also high in sugar.  A while ago I fell in love with F&E's vanilla almond granola and then TJ's version, both great, but very sweet and high in sugar content.  I've been eating very limited sugar the past couple of weeks and while I'm seeing the results I want and love what I'm eating, I needed more options!

Mom and Dad sent this recipe... Dad eats a very low-glycemic diet and found this winner.  


GRANOLA
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups slivered almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup pumpkin seeds  (I used pepitas)
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup almond butter
1/3 cup canola oil
Pinch of sea salt

*I added coconut flakes to half of my batch.  We are a household divided...
Mix in a bowl.  Spread on cookie sheet and bake at 250* for 1 hour, or until light brown.  Stir every 20 minutes.  
*Mom's note:  make sure the almond butter is mixed in very well or it will be chunky.  

My entire house (the ones with a full set of teeth) have approved with mouths full... Denten made me label mine (with coconut) and promise not to touch his half.  I made no such promise.  it's a winner!  Enjoy!  And if you have any delicious low-in-simple-carb dishes I should try, send them my way!

1 comment:

Annika said...

Can't wait to try! Thanks for sharing.