Monday, February 11, 2013

Rainy Day Sweet Potato Soup

We have very few afternoon and evenings where we don't need to be anywhere and therefore I seldom have a good chunk of time to spend on dinner prep.  I love Mondays for this reason... zero after-school obligations.  I had a different dinner plan set for today but then it started raining and we switched it up.  

The original recipe came from Green Shakes and Giggles, which, if you haven't visited, you are missing out on delicious healthy food!  However, I forgot to grab lentils earlier this week and after two stores today, I wasn't dragging kids in any others.. so we improvised.  This is what we came up with tonight.


Rainy Day Sweet Potato Soup
Family-Sized

One red onion, small diced
4 medium carrots, small diced
4 stalks celery, small diced 
1 cup sweet potatoes, small diced

1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
About 2 leaves kale, ripped/chopped small (de-stemmed)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp. unrefined coconut oil (or preferred cooking oil)

2 bayleafs
1 t rosemary

2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
Salt

Put coconut oil in pot and saute red onion, carrots, celery, and sweet potatoes on medium heat until soft (abt. 6 minutes).

Add kale and garlic cloves.  Saute for a couple of minutes until kale wilts.

Add beans, broth and water.  Add bayleafs and rosemary, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.  

At this point, I removed the bay leaves and pureed the soup in two batches.  I did this because I knew my children would receive it better, but I ended up loving the creamy texture it gave the soup.  

Cooper said it needed something crunchy and we didn't have any soup crackers, so we added some chopped pecans and it was a great addition.  Perfect for a cold, rainy day.


No comments: