Tuesday, October 22, 2013

a house of sickies.

Last week Stella threw up unexpectedly.  And then she did it again.  No fever, fairly pleasant... strange but I was grateful it passed quickly.  Thursday night Cooper took his turn and missed school Friday.  Beckham hopped on board Saturday night and was a trooper Sunday.  I told Seneca she was not allowed to get sick.  She broke the rule and caved Sunday evening.  Denten and I made a pact that we were not going to get it.  Last night I broke the pact and frankly, today has been pretty miserable.

There are upsides.  Everyone threw up twice then was immediately on the mend.  This made things predictable and it was nice it was short-lived.  I'm grateful Denten could take my shift in Seneca's classroom today so I didn't have to cancel on her teacher.  Shellie showed up with dinner having no idea I was down and out.  Stella is about as easy as they come if you need to take care of someone while feeling like you'd rather screw your head into a vice.

As I laid in bed this morning trying not to move a muscle, I heard conversation from the kitchen float down the hall.  Seneca requested a nutella sandwich and cheddar bunnies for her lunch.  I didn't even have the energy to think about objecting to that.  Dad was in charge and she was going to make the most of it.  This was clear not only by what they ate, but by what they walked out of the house wearing this morning.  Again, it was a sign of how crummy I felt that I didn't say a word.

After school they were great about getting homework done and taking turns on the piano while trading off Stella so I could remain as still as possible.  The nausea, the dizziness, the throbbing in my head- all made me really grateful I do not carry those symptoms with me on a regular basis.  I felt empathy for those who have been through chemo, or auto-immune diseases or who suffer with severe morning sickness because that's not fun at all.  The kids played chess on the roof and volleyball on the basketball court and I thanked heaven that they were old enough to manage themselves somewhat.

Being sick is for the birds.  I hereby vow that I'll feel better tomorrow.  And feel free to pray for Denten... he's the last man standing.

1 comment:

The Silly Witch said...

Hope everyone is feeling better by now! We suffered some minor sickness this week in our family too. Quinn actually threw his bike to the ground on the way to school and refused to go any further. I knew that was out of character and took him to the doctor where he was diagnosed with his first ever sinus infection.